1 hr 30 mins
Very smooth flan, more like a custard pie. Not too sweet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1PLACE 10 custard cups in a large roasting pan that has a terry cloth towel on the bottom, there should be an inch or so between the pan and the cups.
- 2Place 3 quarts, give or take, of water on the stove to boil.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4with a single rack in the center of the oven.
- 5CARAMEL:Combine all the ingredients for the caramel in a heavy, unlined pot with a tight fitting lid.
- 6Bring to a boil over medium-high heat with the lid on and let boil for a few minutes, until all the sugar is dissolved and condensation has cleaned the sides of the pot.
- 7DO NOT STIR OR SWIRL.
- 8Remove lid and heat until it turns light brown.
- 9Divide it evenly among the custard cups, swirl each to run the caramel up the sides.
- 10FILLING:Scrape the vanilla beans into a large, heavy pan with the half and half, add sugar and salt.
- 11Scald (170 degrees or so) over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- 12Once the sugar is all dissolved and the cream is steaming remove from heat and cool until just warm (120 degrees) Slowly add 1/2 cup warm cream to the eggs while whisking, add another cup of cream to the eggs and continue to whisk.
- 13Pour the egg mixture back into the pan.
- 14Remove, rinse and reserve vanilla beans.
- 15Whisk vigorosly or beat with an immersion blender until smooth.
- 16LADEL custard through a strainer into cups, pull oven rack out, place roaster on rack with cups and towel in place, pour almost boiling water around in the pan so the custard cups are 2/3rd submerged (or so).
- 17BAKE for 45 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 18Rotate pan 180 degrees halfway through process to ensure even baking.
- 19REMOVE from roasting pan and immediatly refrigerate uncovered until cool.
- 20One cooled cover.
- 21Best served the same day, but will keep well for 2 or 3 days.
- 22OPTIONALLY you can use some jam or chocolate sauce in the bottom of the custard cup.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smooth and Creamy Flan
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.8
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 252.5 mg
- Sodium 139.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 53.6 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: