Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very smooth flan, more like a custard pie. Not too sweet.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 drops white vinegar
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten and combined with
- 7 egg yolks (from large eggs)
- PLACE 10 custard cups in a large roasting pan that has a terry cloth towel on the bottom, there should be an inch or so between the pan and the cups.
- Place 3 quarts, give or take, of water on the stove to boil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- with a single rack in the center of the oven.
- CARAMEL:Combine all the ingredients for the caramel in a heavy, unlined pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat with the lid on and let boil for a few minutes, until all the sugar is dissolved and condensation has cleaned the sides of the pot.
- DO NOT STIR OR SWIRL.
- Remove lid and heat until it turns light brown.
- Divide it evenly among the custard cups, swirl each to run the caramel up the sides.
- FILLING:Scrape the vanilla beans into a large, heavy pan with the half and half, add sugar and salt.
- Scald (170 degrees or so) over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Once the sugar is all dissolved and the cream is steaming remove from heat and cool until just warm (120 degrees) Slowly add 1/2 cup warm cream to the eggs while whisking, add another cup of cream to the eggs and continue to whisk.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pan.
- Remove, rinse and reserve vanilla beans.
- Whisk vigorosly or beat with an immersion blender until smooth.
- LADEL custard through a strainer into cups, pull oven rack out, place roaster on rack with cups and towel in place, pour almost boiling water around in the pan so the custard cups are 2/3rd submerged (or so).
- BAKE for 45 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Rotate pan 180 degrees halfway through process to ensure even baking.
- REMOVE from roasting pan and immediatly refrigerate uncovered until cool.
- One cooled cover.
- Best served the same day, but will keep well for 2 or 3 days.
- OPTIONALLY you can use some jam or chocolate sauce in the bottom of the custard cup.