6 hrs 20 mins
Oooo-La-La! So creamy and decadently delicious. Tried and true Gale Gand recipe. She's a 'go-to' queen maven of desserts if you want perfection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Pour 2 cups sugar into the center of a deep saucepan. Carefully pour the water around the sugar, trying not to splash any sugar onto the sides of the pan. Do not stir; gently draw your finger through the center of the sugar twice, making a cross, to moisten it. (this method prevents crystallization).
- 3Over medium high heat, bring to a boil without stirring. Reduce the heat to a fast simmer and cook without stirring until amber-caramel in color for 5 - 10 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat.
- 4Meanwhile, set a 9" cake pan nearby. When the caramel is cooked, quickly pour into the cake pan and swirl to coat the sides (do this very carefully to not burn yourself) . Set aside to cool.
- 5In a saucepan, bring the milk and vanilla bean to a boil over medium heat. Immediately turn off the heat and set aside to infuse.
- 6Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, additional egg yolks, and the remaining 1 cup sugar.
- 7Whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture. Whisk the remaining hot milk into the egg mixture. Strain the mixture into a pitcher to smooth it and to remove the vanilla bean, scraping seeds of vanilla bean and returning it to the egg mixture. Discard vanilla bean shell.
- 8Pour the mixture into the caramel-lined cake pan and place in a hot water bath.
- 9Bake in the center of the oven until dry and set in the center, 45 - 50 minutes.
- 10Remove from the water bath and let cool. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or refrigerate until ready to serve (up to 24 hours). Turn onto a serving platter.
- 11NOTE: Vanilla bean is always preferred because it imparts a pure deep flavor as opposed to vanilla extract. I've used vanilla extract (do not use imitation) many a time due to the cost of the vanilla bean. The next best thing to vanilla bean is pure vanilla bean paste - Nielson Massey brand carries this item. But if you can afford it, go with the vanilla bean!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smooth and Creamy Creme Caramel
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.6
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 271.2 mg
- Sodium 96.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 81.1 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: