Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I've made many chocolate frostings over the years, and this one is my favorite. I always made it with an uncooked and beaten egg, but with those concerned about eating raw eggs, I've listed a subsitution using EggBeaters. My personal preference is to still use an egg, though. I like to add the lemon juice and salt because I prefer a frosting that is not "overly-sweet" tasting.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 beaten egg (or 1/4 c. Eggbeaters)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar (use more or less depending on how thick you want your frosting)
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small pan over low heat. Pour mixture into a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add the beaten egg (or Eggbeaters), salt, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Combine with mixer on low speed. Add confectioners' sugar, using as much as you want to make the desired consistency of frosting. Scrape down sides of bowl and then beat at medium-high speed until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread onto cooled cake.
- (Makes enough to frost a 13x9-inch pan. Double recipe for a 2-layer 8" cake.).
Made for Recipes Swap #17 Aus/NZ. Made this to frost recipe #175923. This was very easy and quite tasty and I always have these ingredients in my house. Much better than that stuff out of the can! Thanks for posting this TasteTester!