Recipe by Callu
This is a whipped chocolate pie that is very rich but has cayenne that gives is a nice warm heat finish. It is over the top decadence at its best. It is also fun and different. Cooking time is just chill time for the pie.
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, very finely chopped (pecans will also work)
- 2 1⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 4 eggs, cold
Directions See How It's Made
- pie crust
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup minced hazelnuts (very small pieces)
- dash cinnamon, maybe 2 dashes then stop
- Melt chocolate and coconut milk. 15 second incraments then stir in microwave.
- Stir in hazelnuts and cinnamon
- Spread into cooked (hopefully still warm) pie crust of choice.
- Bottom Layer:.
- Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 3 T coconut milk and cinnamon in microwave safe bowl (or over a double boiler). Nuke for 20 seconds and stir, repeat until melted.
- Stir in hazelnuts, pecans could be substituted in a pinch.
- Spread on bottom and up sides of precooked pie crust. I always use No Roll Coconut Milk Pie Crust (I posted it on this site).
- Allow to cool and set (refrigerate if you can) while you make the rest of the pie.
- Melt 2 1/4 cups chocolate chips, 1/4 cup coconut milk and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in a microwave safe bowl (or over double boiler). Nuke for 20 seconds and then stir, repeat until melted.
- Place melted chocolate mixture and 1/4 cup butter into a mixer with a whisk tool.
- Beat until butter is incorporated.
- Add COLD eggs one at a time. Beat on high for 2-3 minutes after each egg.
- By the time you add the 4th egg the mixture should be fluffy and lighter in color.
- Gently spread into the pie crust on top of the chocolate-cinnamon layer.
- Chill for at least 3 hours to be sure it sets and firms up.
- Slice and serve chilled with whipped cream.
- NOTE: This uses raw eggs. Make extra super sure your eggs are fresh. I own chickens so I have it easy in that regard.