Recipe by LifeIsGood
This is a very nice, creamy tomato soup recipe from Food and Wine Magazine. I like to make it in the summer with tomaotes from my garden. The gruyere toasts really make this recipe special, but the soup is delicious on its own. I especially like that it's a simple, quick soup with great flavor. Enjoy!
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We enjoyed this delicious soup for lunch today. I took the liberty of roasting off my tomatoes, onion and garlic in the oven and then adding it to the other ingredients. I used basil vs. thyme as that's what I had on hand. Will definitely make this delicious soup again soon.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 3 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 thyme, sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 8 baguette, slices cut 1/4 inch thick on the bias
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese, coarsely grated, about 3/4 C
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, melt the butter in the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika and cook until it gets fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, water, thyme and bay leaf, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes start breaking down, about 15 minutes. Discard the thyme sprig and bay leaf.
- Preheat the broiler. In a blender, puree the soup in batches. Strain the soup back into the pot - pressing on the solids (use a strainer with larger holes. This just separates out the bits of tomato skin/seeds that didn't blend.) Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper again, to taste.
- Meanwhile, put the baguette slices on a baking sheet and broil 6 inches away from the heat until lightly toasted on both sides, about 2 minutes total. top the toasts with the Gruyere and broil for about 30 seconds more, until the cheese gets bubbly.
- ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the Gruyere toasts. Enjoy!