Smoky Tomato Soup With Grilled Cheddar Cheese
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and chipotle; lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree the soup.
- Butter 1 side of each bread slice.
- Spread the unbuttered side of 18 slices with mustard; top with a slice of cheese and the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- In a nonstick skillet or griddle, grill the sandwiches over medium heat until the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with the soup.