Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A yummy soup and sandwich recipe from Rachael Ray's magazine.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 (28 ounce) canswhole fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 36 slices rye cocktail bread
- 1⁄4 cup grainy mustard
- 1 (6 ounce) package cheddar cheese, cut into 2-inch squares
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and chipotle; lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree the soup.
- Butter 1 side of each bread slice.
- Spread the unbuttered side of 18 slices with mustard; top with a slice of cheese and the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- In a nonstick skillet or griddle, grill the sandwiches over medium heat until the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with the soup.