In 'Seriously Simple Parties' by Diane Rossen Worthington
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 leeks, light green and white parts only, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups milk or 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce, to taste
- 3/4 cup crouton, for garnish (preferably cheese or garlic)
- 1In a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil over med-high heat.
- 2Add the leeks and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
- 3Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 4 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- 4Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until slightly softened.
- 5Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, decrease heat to low, and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until the flour is thickened and incorporated into the vegetables.
- 6Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and broth; increase heat to med-high; bring to a simmer.
- 7Partially cover the pan, decrease heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and all the flavors are well blended.
- 8With an immersion blender, puree the soup, or if you prefer a finer texture, use a blender.
- 9If you want your soup totally smooth, pour it through a fine-mesh strainer after you have blended it.
- 10Add the milk to the soup over medium heat, stirring to combine, and cook for another minute.
- 11Add the chipotle sauce and season with salt.
- 12Ladle the soup into soup bowls and garnish each bowl with a few croutons before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.1
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.3 mg
- Sodium 637.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 7.6 g