Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 'Seriously Simple Parties' by Diane Rossen Worthington
Make and share this Smoky Tomato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 leeks, light green and white parts only, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cansfire-roasted diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk or 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup crouton, for garnish (preferably cheese or garlic)
- In a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil over med-high heat.
- Add the leeks and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 4 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until slightly softened.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, decrease heat to low, and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until the flour is thickened and incorporated into the vegetables.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and broth; increase heat to med-high; bring to a simmer.
- Partially cover the pan, decrease heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and all the flavors are well blended.
- With an immersion blender, puree the soup, or if you prefer a finer texture, use a blender.
- If you want your soup totally smooth, pour it through a fine-mesh strainer after you have blended it.
- Add the milk to the soup over medium heat, stirring to combine, and cook for another minute.
- Add the chipotle sauce and season with salt.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and garnish each bowl with a few croutons before serving.