Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A warm, comforting tomato soup using ingredients available year round (although it's better in season)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or 1 pint other fresh tomato
- 1⁄4 red onion
- 2 slices pancetta, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ounce smoked swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Pierce skin of tomatoes and add with onion to a baking dish. Broil for 4-5 minutes until skin is blackening. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While tomatoes cool. Brown over medium heat until crispy in the soup pot (4 quart capacity). Remove pancetta and drain on paper towel, leaving fat in the pot.
- Add olive oil and flour. Stir constantly for 1 minutes. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to simmer, continuing to stir.
- Add cheese and continue to whisk for an additional minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to the pot.
- Chop broiled onion and tomatoes finely, until almost crushed. Add to the pot.
- Add pepper, cajun seasoning, thyme, and garlic powder.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes but up to two hours. Can also at this point be transferred to a crock pot to finish cooking.
- Serve topped with crispy pancetta.