Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
from the Southwest Slow cooker
- 15 tomatillos, shucked and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mix all ingredients except chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add chicken and make sure it is covered with the tomatillo mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours.
- Serve over rice or with warm tortillas, spooning extra sauce from cooker over the top.
Well, I'm not a fan of this as much as I'd hoped to be. I made it exactly as written. Just didn't care for the oddly sweet undertone with the smoky heat of the chipotles. Disappointing, since separately I love all the ingredients in this. My husband, who likes everything, said it was just ok. I'll probably try it again, since it is low cal and easy to cook in the crockpot. Would decrease the brown sugar drastically if I make it again.
I used canned tomatillos & chicken thighs in this recipe which was very tasty. The chipotle's gave a smoky flavor which went well w/ the brown sugar. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome and a great way to use up tomatillo which is fairly new to our Northern Canadian gardens but I am slowly converting my coworkers with the fab recipes from Zaar. We made wraps with this recipe.