Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Neely's Celebration Cookbook. This was Gina's mom's recipe. Now Pat makes them for Gina on Mother's Day and serves her in bed. Lucky girl.
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 3 -4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil, for frying
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 small pinch kosher salt
- Grate the sweet potatoes into a medium mixing bowl. Add the grated onion, green onions, flour, beaten eggs, paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large, deep cast iron skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop 1/4 cup of the sweet potato mixture into the hot oil, lighlty flattening into 1/2 inch thick pancakes with a spatula. Fry until golden and crisp, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Move to a paper towel lined sheet tray to drain. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining pancakes.
- Note: Don't grate the sweet potatoes until just before you're readiy to mix and cook; otherwise, they might turn brown and ruin your pancakes! If need be, wam in a 200*F. oven until ready to serve.