From the Neely's Celebration Cookbook. This was Gina's mom's recipe. Now Pat makes them for Gina on Mother's Day and serves her in bed. Lucky girl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 3 -4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup peanut oil, for frying
- 1Grate the sweet potatoes into a medium mixing bowl. Add the grated onion, green onions, flour, beaten eggs, paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- 2Heat the peanut oil in a large, deep cast iron skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop 1/4 cup of the sweet potato mixture into the hot oil, lighlty flattening into 1/2 inch thick pancakes with a spatula. Fry until golden and crisp, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- 3Move to a paper towel lined sheet tray to drain. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining pancakes.
- 4Note: Don't grate the sweet potatoes until just before you're readiy to mix and cook; otherwise, they might turn brown and ruin your pancakes! If need be, wam in a 200*F. oven until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Sweet Potato Cakes With Mama Callie's Maple Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.5
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 117.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 59.3 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: