Recipe by Cynna
This is an interesting twist on an old favorite. Also a verrrry clever way of sneaking spinach into your family's mouths. Smoky, creamy and oh-so-satisfying.
Top Review by mommymakeit4u
I didn't have the smoked version of the cheeses, and I mixed some parmesan with the breadcrumbs. I found that even after doing that the topping was very dry and boring. Next time I'll only use 1/4 cup crumbs and maybe dot with butter. Still a nice way to get that spinach in though!
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 cups fresh spinach, coarsly chopped
- 4 cups elbow macaroni (cooked and hot)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk, cream, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended.
- Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 2 minutes).
- Add cheeses; stir until melted.
- Add spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended.
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until bubbly.