1/2 Photos of Smoky Spinach Gratin
-----This recipe is a current entry in the RSC contest. Please add your review only between Friday, Feb 22nd-Sun, Feb 24th to preserve fairness in the contest. If you would like a reminder of when to review sign up here: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3510230. Photos should not be added until Feb 27th.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (16 ounce) bags frozen leaf spinach, not chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne chili pepper flakes
- 6 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups )
- 2 egg whites
- 1Thaw spinach and drain off any liquid; set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 400.
- 3Lightly grease a 1 1/2 qt casserole.
- 4In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 5Add the shallots and sautee until soft.
- 6Add the flour and stir vigorously.
- 7Slowly whisk in the milk.
- 8Add the salt, pepper and cayenne.
- 9Continue to cook and stir constantly until mixture thickens.
- 10Reduce heat to low and add the shredded smoked Gouda cheese. Stir constantly until melted and do not allow to boil.
- 11Stir in the thawed, drained spinach.
- 12Remove saucepan from heat and set aside.
- 13In a small bowl, beat the 2 egg whites until peaks form.
- 14Immediately gently fold the beaten stiff egg whites into the spinach mixture.
- 15Pour entire mixture into the casserole.
- 16Bake, uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until browning on top to desired browness on top.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Spinach Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.6
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 42.9 mg
- Sodium 416.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 13.5 g