Recipe by Rita~
I wanted to preserve my Smoky, Spicy Tomatillo Salsa Verde Aka Green Hell! and came up with this. Adding the lemon, lime juice and vinegar for acidity to preserve the salsa. Green tomatoes can be used in place or along with the tomatillos. After opening the canned salsa you can drain some of the liquid so not to watery. Do NOT thicken with flour or cornstarch. FYI- don't like heat replace the hot chili's with bell pepper that you roasted.
Top Review by KennKonn
I had to make this without the chilis in adobo sauce. I couldnt find any here. Rita was kind enough to offer to send me a can but I needed to use up my tomatillos. I did make it according to everything else and the directions. My husband tried it on his eggs for lunch the day a made it. He loves it! As soon as I find (and I will keep looking) chilis in adobo sauce I will be making it again as the recipe says but as it is without it, its fabulous. Thank you Rita for your excellent recipe and your offer to send a can through the mail. UPDATE!!! Found chiplotles finally and tomatillos are even in season...this was extremely good without the chipoltes but with them...its AMAZING!!
- 3 lbs tomatillos, cut into quarters
- 2 habanero peppers, seeds and all
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (I used all three) or 1 cup fresh parsley (I used all three) or 1 cup fresh basil (I used all three)
- 1⁄4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lime, very fine shredded zest and juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare canner, jars and lids.
- In a food processor place the first 6 ingredients, pulsing till very small pieces. It will be a tight fit. You can start to pulse to give more room then add additional ingredients.
- In a large stainless saucepan combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium high heat, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims, center lids and screw on band to fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner, cover and bring canner to a boil.
- Process for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid of canner and let jars sit for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove jars, cool, label and store.