Adapted from a side dish of the winner of the 46th National Chicken Cooking Contest. Goes especially well with pork. You can increase the chiles/adobo if you prefer it spicier.
- 3⁄4 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced (just the chile)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon adobo sauce (from canned chipotles)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (or less, to taste)
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 lime, zest of
- fresh ground pepper
- Simmer sweet potatoes, uncovered, over medium heat until fork tender, about 15 minutes. If foaming occurs, skim off top of water.
- In a bowl combine oil, chile, adobo sauce, cumin, and lime juice and zest.
- Drain sweet potatoes, reserving 3 tablespoons of the cooking water (be careful not to burn yourself).
- Mash sweet potatoes with cooking water. Mix spices in until well incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve.