Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of my favorite ingredients - chipotle peppers - put the heat in this warm, comforting casserole. The original recipe called for just 2 chipotles, but we usually add more for extra heat.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 2 canned chipotle peppers, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1 tomatoes, cut into wedges (optional)
- Heat oven to 400.
- In large skillet, brown ground beef with onion over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine water, margarine and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remover from heat.
- Stir in milk and potato flakes.
- Cover; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in greel chiles and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Drain beef mixture. Add enchilada sauce, chipotle chiles, cumin and oregano, mixing well.
- Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
- Spread beef mixture in ungreased shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with corn. Spread potatoes evenly over corn and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 13 to 17 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika and green onions.
- Top with tomato wedges; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I have made this several times and I love it. Its simple and satisfies my mexican food craving. Just wanted to share Thank you
I thought that this was really good!Next time I might add a half more chilpote pepper for some extra heat!I added some extra corn and some black beans to it.I also added some extra cheese to it.I might leave out some of the hamburger next time and add some more veggies to make it a little more me.I also think that I might add some fresh baccon peices to the potato mixture to give it a little bit of a smokey flavor.This will bill be made lots more times in my family!Thanks for the recipe!
This was really great - definately a keeper! A little too spicy for my daughter, so she missed out! I would add more green chilis next time, just because they were so good in it!