1/2 Photos of Smoky Southwestern Grill
A tasty sounding twist on the grilled cheese sandwich. This was in today's (2/15/05) Detroit Free Press food section and I plan to try it very soon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 pasilla chiles or 2 anaheim chilies (or use canned chiles)
- 8 slices bacon, coarsley chopped
- 4 ciabatta rolls, cut in half or 1 loaf ciabatta, cut into 3 inch wide sections
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, coarsley grated (if watery drain slightly and cut into thin slices rather than grating)
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled or pinched into pea-size pieces
- 4 slices tomatoes, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1Roast peppers by preheating broiler, or over a burner of a gas stove.
- 2Place chiles under broiler or hold one chile with tongs over gas burner flame.
- 3Cook, turning frequently, until skin is charred all over.
- 4Repeat with remaining chile.
- 5Place chiles in resealable plastic bag and set aside 20 minutes.
- 6With small sharp knife scrape off charred skin, cut off stems, then cut chiles into 1/2-inch wide strips.
- 7Set aside.
- 8In large non-stick skillet cook bacon over medium-high heat'til crispy.
- 9Drain on paper towels.
- 10Wipe skillet but don't wash it.
- 11To assemble, pull out some of the center of each roll to create a well.
- 12Brush the outside of each roll half with the oil.
- 13Place bottom 4 pieces on work surface, oiled side dow.
- 14Distribute mozzarella evenly over these pieces, followed by bacon, chiles, goat cheese and tomatoes.
- 15Place remaining 4 pieces of rolls on top, oiled side up.
- 16Using same skillet as before, heat skillet over medium heat 2 minutes.
- 17Place sandwiches in skillet (in batches if necessary) and press firmly with spatula to flatten them slightly.
- 18Cover and cook 3-4 minutes, or'til undersides are golden brown in places and mozzarella has begun to melt.
- 19Uncover and turn sandwiches with spatula, pressing very firmly.
- 20Cover and cook 2-3 minutes, or'til tops are golden brown in places.
- 21Turn sandwiches again, press with spatula, and cook 30 seconds to 1 minutes'til mozzarella has melted completely.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Southwestern Grill
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 808.3
- Calories from Fat 519
- Total Fat 57.6 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 120.4 mg
- Sodium 1371.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 36.4 g