Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Add some fire to a cold day with a smoky, spicy Southwest-style soup. Chili powder, cumin, chipotle chile and pepper jack cheese add heat to the cream and broth base canned chicken (a great lean protein food) and canned vegetables make preparation a cinch!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 cup sliced carrot, canned drained
- 2 (3 ounce) canspremium chunk chicken breasts, in water, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground chipotle chile
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated fat-free canned milk or 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 bunch cilantro, sprigs (to garnish)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion and celery. Sauté, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in soup and broth. Add rice, carrots, chicken, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chile and 3/4 cup cheese; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors; stir in evaporated milk and chopped cilantro. Garnish with remaining cheese and cilantro sprigs.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 240; Total fat 12g; Saturated fat 4.5 g; Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 046mg; Carbohydrate 17g; Fiber 2g; Protein 16g; Vitamin A 90%DV; Vitamin C 6% DV; Calcium 15%DV; Iron 6%DV *Daily Value.