8 hrs 35 mins
From Cooking Light January 2009. Country-style ribs are cut from the shoulder and are perfect for this. I have not made this yet, but it seems like a winner. Prep time is estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 3/4 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beer, lager-style
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 tomatillos, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (12 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, no-salt, drained
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) can mexican hot tomato sauce
- 1 smoked ham hock, about 8 oz
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco, about 2 oz
- 8 lime wedges
- 1Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray.
- 2Add ground pork and cook for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well and transfer to slow cooker.
- 3Recoat skillet with cooking spray. Add pork shoulder and cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer pork to slow cooker.
- 4Recoat skillet with cooking spray. Add onion and bell pepper, and saute 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5Add garlic, saute 1 minute, then add tomato paste and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 6Stir in beer, cook a minute or two, then pour all over the meat in the slow cooker.
- 7Add 1/4 tsp salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, tomatillos, bay leaves, tomatoes, pinto beans, tomato sauce and ham hock to the slow cooker.
- 8Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours until meat is tender or on LOW for 8 hours.
- 9Remove and discard ham hock and bay leaves.
- 10Add 1/4 tsp salt and the sugar, stir well.
- 11Top each serving with 1 tbl each of cilantro, green onions and queso fresco. Serve with a lime wedge.
- 12This can also be done on the stove, using 12 ozs beer and simmering, covered, for 2 1/2 to3 hours or until the pork is tender.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Slow Cooker Chili
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.4
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 81.1 mg
- Sodium 470.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 27.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock