Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I crave these grits!! They remind me of a side dish at one of my favorite restaurants back home, Zea's. The chipotle chiles and the fire roasted tomatoes give this dish the smoky/spicy flavor. Nicely balanced by the creamy grits. Adapted from Cooking Club of America.
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style sweet corn
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat water, salt and creamed corn to a boil.
- With a wire whisk, gradually beat in grits. Return to a boil, beating constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5-7 min, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese until well combined. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add garlic; cook and stir about 2 minute or until lightly browned.
- Add shrimp; cook and stir 4-6 min or just until shrimp are pink.
- Stir in seafood seasoning, chipotle chiles and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered 2-3 min or until tomatoes are thoroughly heated.
- Divide grits mixture evenly among individual large soup bowls and spoon shrimp mixture evenly over top.