Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 mins
From Real Simple's featured 20-minute meals, on facebook! NOTE: I've allowed a few more minutes to prep the shrimp, and grate the cheese!
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese (freshly grated)
- 4 slices bacon (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 lb raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes (or substitute tomatoes of your choice)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 scallions (sliced)
- Cook the grits according to the package directions. Stir in the Cheddar.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for about 45 seconds; add white wine, shrimp, and tomatoes to the skillet and cook in the bacon fat, tossing occasionally, until the shrimp is opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add a generous grind of black pepper; stir in the scallions and the bacon, and immediately serve over the grits.