Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 in slices
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, undrained
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup Martha self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup Martha White self-rising corm meal mix
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- In 6-qt Dutch oven or large saucepan with lid, heat oil over med-high heat; add onion and carrots. cook and stir until carrots are tender.
- Stir in sausage; cook until lightly browned.
- Add remaining STEW ingredients; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- In medium bowl, combine flour and corn meal.
- With pastry blender or two knives, cut shortening into very small pieces to evenly distribute into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in parsley and pepper. Add milk; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls over simmering stew. cover and cook over med-low heat 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are firm.
Despite its quick cooking time, this soup tasted as though it took hours to make. It is hearty and flavorful. Yum!