Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I had some leftover veggies and 1/2 pound of smoked sausage and I had no idea what to do with them. I thought since it's a cold winter night, "Why not make a soup?" So that's what I did.:) Please feel free to use what ever veggies you family likes the most. Feel free to add more seasonings if you like. Serve with your favorite crusty bread if desired. If you like, simmer longer than the time stated for a better flavor. Submitted to "ZAAR" on December 15th, 2007.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, cut into thin slices then cut slices in half
- 5 cups beef broth
- 3 cups leftover mixed vegetables (I used corn,carrots and lima beans)
- 1⁄4 cup regular barley
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, sauté onion and smoked sausage until meat is lightly browned.
- Add broth and barley bring to a boil.
- When broth/barley mixture reaches a boil,add veggies and seasonings.
- Return to a boil and turn heat down to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer soup until barley is tender about 25 to 30 minutes.
- At this point taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Eat and enjoy.