Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Just a wonderful chicken skillet dish, with so much flavor, made by the smoked sausage..a definite winner.
Top Review by Michelle S.
Yes, this is a winner! So very tasty! I used the chicken breasts and browned them well (next time I think I will leave off the flour, DD thought it made the chicken slightly "slimey"....I think she is nuts.) I followed the rest of the recipe exactly, except for adding more cajun seasoning. I served this with steamed Jasmine rice and it was perfect for a cooler summer days dinner! Carol, I think this will also be perfect (sans flour of course) when I start "beaching" sometime next month. Thanks for this very tasty dinner option.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 8 chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 2 smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a plastic bag, combine the flour and pepper.
- Add the chicken; shake to coat.
- Reserve the remaining flour mixture.
- In a skillet, heat oil over med-high heat; brown the chicken on all sides (about 10 minutes).
- Remove to plate; set aside.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the same skillet; cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add sausages, celery and seasoning; cook for 1-5 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Add the reserved flour mixture.
- Stir in tomatoes, (mashing slightly with a fork) and the bell pepper; bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to pan; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 35 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve garnished with green onions.