Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The greatest thing about this soup is that it comes together in about 20 minutes. You don't have to kill a whole day waiting for stock to boil or vegetables to become tender. Plus, it's full of vitamins but not much fat; a healthy choice for a cozy winter meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 1 lb kale, coarsely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa or 1 lb reduced-fat kielbasa, diced
- 43 ounces fat-free low-sodium chicken broth, 3 small cans
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Add onions, cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, bay leaf, and kale to the pot. Cover and wilt the greens for 2 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste.
- Add beans, tomato, kielbasa and broth to the pot and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat back to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes longer.