Recipe by Shelby Jo
This recipe is out of Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking Magazine. A lightened version of a warm comfort food!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made your recipe as written & wouldn't change a thing, because you have a wonderfully tasty chowder here! Although I usually use Hormel's Real Bacon Pieces in recipes like this, this time I did fry up the bacon (& the other ingredients in the bacon fat) & that added a great flavor to the whole thing! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 4 slice bacon, chopped
- 236.59 ml diced onion
- 118.29 ml celery, diced
- 118.29 ml red bell pepper, diced
- 9.85 ml garlic, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme, minced or 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml chicken broth
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 418.15 g can cream-style corn
- 473.18 ml roasted chicken breast, chopped
- 14.79 ml hickory flavored barbecue sauce
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chopped bacon in a large non-stick soup pot over medium-high heat until lightly browned but not crisp. Stir in onions, celery, red pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add thyme and flour. Mix well. Stir in broth and evaporated milk. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and stir continuously until soup thickens slightly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.