Recipe by Shelby Jo
This recipe is out of Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking Magazine. A lightened version of a warm comfort food!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made your recipe as written & wouldn't change a thing, because you have a wonderfully tasty chowder here! Although I usually use Hormel's Real Bacon Pieces in recipes like this, this time I did fry up the bacon (& the other ingredients in the bacon fat) & that added a great flavor to the whole thing! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 cups roasted chicken breast, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hickory flavored barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chopped bacon in a large non-stick soup pot over medium-high heat until lightly browned but not crisp. Stir in onions, celery, red pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add thyme and flour. Mix well. Stir in broth and evaporated milk. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and stir continuously until soup thickens slightly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.