1/1 Photo of Smoky Potato Soup
This soup is a variation of my Irish mother's potato soup. I won third prize in the San Diego Union's Potato Recipe Contest. I love the combination of rosemary and garlic in this soup. I use an immersion blender and lightly puree the soup, rather than putting it in my traditional blender...much much safer!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 709.78 ml chicken broth, canned or homemade
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 slice smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2.46 ml minced fresh rosemary
- milk (if necessary to thin soup)
- 1In a large soup pot, fry bacon over medium heat, until browned. Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain.
- 2Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- 3Saute onion, celery, and garlic for 5 minutes or until limp.
- 4Add chicken broth and potatoes to the soup pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- 5Transfer half of soup to blender, and puree until smooth. Put pureed soup back in soup pot.
- 6Stir in rosemary and bacon.
- 7Bring the soup to a simmer. Add a little milk or broth to make soup desired consistency.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.8
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 4.4 mg
- Sodium 494.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 5.8 g