1/1 Photo of Smoky Pork Tinga Tacos (Slow Cooker)
6 hrs 10 mins
This is a Rick Bayless recipe, from his book Mexican Everyday. I am posting as it is in his cookbook. Note, when I made this, I used the full 4 chilies in adobo sauce and although my husband and I REALLY seriously like heat in our food, this was almost too hot. So if you are sensitive, you may want to cut back on those. We really enjoyed this recipe, I hope someone will try it and hopefully enjoy it as well. This makes enough for 12 people to have 2 each.
My Private Note
soft ta ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium red potatoes or 4 medium yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (preferably fire roasted)
- 3 -4 canned chipotle chiles, in adobo seeded and sliced 1/4 inch thick (3 to 4 chiles, not 3 to 4 cans)
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle chile puree (sauce from the can the chiles came in)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed in garlic press
- 1 medium white onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick (optional)
- 4 ounces fresh mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed (about 1/2 cup) (optional)
- 24 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled (can sub feta or goat cheese)
- 2 large avocados, pitted & sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices for serving
- 1Spread potatoes over bottom of a slow cooker and top with pork. In a large bowl, mix the undrained tomatoes with the chipotles, chipotle canning sauce, worcestershire, oregano, garlic, optional onion and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Pour the mixture evenly over the meat and potatoes. Cover and slow cook on high for 6 hours.
- 2When you are ready to eat, fry the optional chorizo in a medium skillet until thoroughly done, about 4 minutes. Uncover the pork tinga and spoon off any fat that has accumulated on top. Sprinkle on the chorizo, then stir everything together, breaking the pork into smaller pieces (sized for wrapping in tortilla's).
- 3If there is a lot of liquid, tip it off and boil it rapidly until reduced and syrupy, then stir it back into the meat mixture.
- 4Taste & season with additional salt if you think it needs it.
- 5Serve with warm tortillas, crumbled fresh cheese & avocado.
- 6Note: If you do not have a slow cooker, it says you can do this in a medium sized heavy pot. Lay pork in the pot, top with potatoes, cover with tomato mixture, set lid in place and braise in a 300 degree oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until pork is completely tender.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Pork Tinga Tacos (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.8
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.7 mg
- Sodium 451.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
canned chipotle chile puree