Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Smoky Orange Barbecued Chicken Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 (6 -8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning, to taste (or salt and pepper)
- romaine lettuce
- thinly sliced red onion
- 4 crusty rolls, split, toasted, and buttered
- Preheat a grill pan over med-high heat.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat; add in oil and saute onion 3-5 minutes or until soft.
- In a blender, combine chipotle peppers in adobo, ketchup, orange juice concentrate, orange zest, and chicken broth; blend on high speed until sauce is smooth.
- Pour sauce into saucepan with onion; heat to a bubble; decrease heat to simmer.
- Coat chicken lightly with a drizzle of oil and season with grill seasoning blend or salt and pepper.
- Grill 5-6 minutes on the first side, turn.
- Remove half of the barbecue sauce to a small bowl and baste chicken liberally with it.
- Turn chicken after 4 minutes; coat with sauce again and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- To serve: slice grilled chicken on an angle and fan out 1 breast on each bun bottom.
- Spoon remaining sauce from saucepan over the sliced chicken.
- Serve oven faced with the lettuce and red onion setting on bun tops to the side; garnish with orange wedges.