Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My recipe for maple-infused barbecue beans makes a great side dish, and can be made in lickety-split time... or slow-simmered.
- 1⁄4 lb smoked bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Spanish onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 fresh garlic clove, mashed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup pure grade a maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 (30 ounce) can white beans
- PREP vegetables to specifications (FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD -- divide the onion and bell pepper into sections, remove ribs and seeds from bell pepper; drop onion and pepper through feeder tube into food processor while running, until vegetables are coarsely chopped); PLACE a heavy 2 1/2 quart skillet (with an accompanying lid) over medium heat; SAUTE bacon, onion and peppers for 5 minutes, stirring as needed, until vegetables have softened; MASH the garlic in a garlic press and add, cooking for 30 seconds longer.
- STIR in the tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, maple syrup, cider vinegar, molasses and Worcestershire sauce; MIX in all of the dry seasonings (at this point you can add beans and transfer mixture to a crock pot if using the slow-simmer method, using the LOW heat setting; stir in the remaining ingredients then cover, simmering for at least 3 hours); PROCEED to the following step for the stovetop method.
- BRING to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; ADD the beans and stir well; REDUCE heat between low and medium-low (no higher than 2 1/2 to prevent scorching); COVER and simmer for at least 30 minutes (NOTE: If you're not in such a hurry and using the stovetop slow-simmer method, you can reduce heat to low and simmer for a few hours, refreshing consistency with water if needed); SERVE and enjoy!