Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Smokey but still sloppy! Different flavour than most Sloppy Joes and, in my humble opinion, this one gets "thumbs up"!
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef (may substitute ground turkey)
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons recaito (or cilantro based seasoning sauce)
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 -3 teaspoons browning sauce (such as Kitchen Bouquet)
- salt or salt substitute
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- In a skillet, heat the drippings or oil and sauté the onions and green pepper over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Place the onions and peppers in the bottom of a crockpot.
- Add all the other ingredients EXCEPT the cocoa powder and browning/seasoning mix.
- Cook on low for about an hour.
- Stir the mixture and then sprinkle the cocoa powder on top.
- Mash the mixture with a potato masher.
- Stir again.
- Continue cooking on low for another 30 to 40 minutes.
- Taste, and add more liquid smoke and/or other spices to taste.
- Add the browning/seasoning mix and stir thoroughly.
- Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Serve on hamburger rolls or biscuits.