Recipe by Mercy
I was obsessed with this chicken salad when it was served at Long John Silvers in the late '80s. It was eventually removed from the menu and massive cravings led me to develop my own formula and reproduce it at home. The smokehouse almonds are the secret ingredient. I have tried it with both mayonnaise and Miracle Whip but the Miracle Whip is much more authentic. Sweet, smoky and super tasty!
Top Review by Eric K.
I worked at long John silvers when this was on the menu. The dressing was a corporate blend, but if we ran out we used Hellman's mayo with lemon juice. It also had a white pepper and onion powder spice mix.
- 3 cups boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup almonds, smoked flavor,finely chopped (almost ground)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the first five ingredients together until the almond chips coat all of the ingredients.
- Fold in the Miracle Whip and blend well.
- Chill for a minimum of an hour before serving in order to let the flavors develop (cooking time is actually chill time).
- Serve a large scoop on a bed of lettuce with buttery crackers.