Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
From Chef Nate Appleman (Food and Wine). I have made this delicious dish on the grill and on my cast iron skillet. It came out great with both.
- 1⁄2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 lb thick asparagus, stalks peeled
- Light a grill.
- In a shallow dish, whisk the mayo with the oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, salt and cumin. Add the asparagus and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning, until tender and blistered in spots, about 6 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Absolutely delicious! I did have to make a couple of subs. No mayo, so I used about 3 tablespoons of ranch dressing. I had no smoked cumin, so I used regular cumin and about 5 drops of liquid smoke. I tossed both asparagus and zucchini in the mixture and let sit for about 20 min, then grilled in a wok on my gas grill. I will definitely be making this again.
Loved this~ I have had it on the "to do" list since it first appeared in Food & Wine in June 2009! Sad, because it is wonderful. I admit to only having added a couple dashes of ground cumin instead of seed. I also omitted the salt (totally did not need it). My mayo was reduced fat and it worked great! THANKS for a recipe we will use over and over.
What a nice new twist on grilled asparagus. While I really liked the asparagus DH thought it was just ok. The smoked paprika is really what makes this dish. Made as written using the frying pan option. Will be making again as DH said he would be open to a second try. Thanks so much for the post.