Prep 8 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Even though I'm a closet Easy Cheeser, I like to make my own dips and spreads, and this is my favorite cheese spread. It's good and smoky and tastes great on saltine-type crackers, whole wheat crackers, and with crunchy sesame breadsticks. Prep time includes "sitting time".
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄3 cup beer
- 3⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- crumbled cooked bacon, to garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix cheeses together.
- Beat in beer to make a creamy spreading consistency.
- Add garlic salt, Tabasco, Liquid Smoke and chili powder.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- Take out of refrigerator about 1/2 hour before serving.
- Garnish with crumbled cooked bacon if you wish.
I couldn't get a creamy spreading consistency no matter how much I beat it, and I doubt that's possible without heating the cheeses to melt the cheddar. I tried just gently warming in the microwave. When that didn't work, I put everything in the top of a double boiler and gently warmed until blended. What I'd suggest for making this, if you want a creamy texture and not bits of cheese suspended in spread, would be to combine the cheeses and warm over a double boiler until just melted and blended, then remove from the heat and cool slightly, then add the other ingredients. I would also suggest starting at 1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke and increasing it if you want more -- 3/4 gives it a degree of smokiness that steps on the other flavors somewhat, I think. That's a matter of taste, though, and the flavor combo of this spread is great. It also seems like it could serve as a good jumping-off point for other flavors that go well with cheese: for example, a fairly strong beer and some whole-grain mustard instead of the liquid smoke and garlic and tabasco. I'm going to have fun experimenting with this one!
I loved this!! Cream cheese dips are my weakness & this was a good one!! I will definitely make it again.