Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From June 2012 Vegetarian Times. Instead of cured ham, these use smoky grilled eggplant to contrast with cantaloupe.
Top Review by ForeverMama
The concept of this dish is a great idea. It is a good and a healthier substitute for prosciutto wrapped around cantaloupe. My cantaloupe wasn't on the sweet side and I wish it would have been. When I make this again, I will cut on the salt in the marinade as it made for a salty eggplant, I should have known because eggplant soaks up flavors like a sponge, therefore 10 minutes marinading time is just right. The eggplant in general was full of flavor. It grilled really well and didn't break up easily. Thank you Kate L for sharing. Made it for Photo Tag.
- 1 medium eggplant (3/4 pound)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 lbs cantaloupe, peeled and cut into 24 1-inch chunks (from 1/2 large melon)
- 24 toothpicks
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter eggplant lengthwise,a nd slice into 24 long-very thin strips using mandoline or sharp vegetable peeler.
- Whisk together oil, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, paprika, cumin, and salt in 9-inch square baking dish. Add eggplant strips, and let marinate 10 minutes.
- Heat gas grill to high. Grill eggplant strips 2 minutes per side, or until strips are very tender and have pronounced grill marks.
- wrap 1 strip grilled eggplant around each melon chunk, and secure with toothpick.