This recipe morphed from a chowder I developed for tinned clams. I loved the chowder without the clams and bacon gave a nice smoky counterpoint to the sweetness of the corn. This recipe is wonderful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 green onions, sliced thin,1/3 cup of green tops reserved for sprinkling over servings
- 2 small potatoes, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, dissolved in
- 2 cups water
- 1 can cream-style corn
- 1 can regular canned corn niblet
- 1 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese with herbs, cut into bits
- 1Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp.
- 2Remove and put on paper towels to drain.
- 3Crumble and reserve.
- 4Sweat onions, potatoes, and garlic in the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the wine and cook until the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add vegetable stock, cream-style and niblet corn and cook another 10 minutes.
- 7Add milk, salt, pepper and cream cheese and heat to scalding (careful not to boil as milk will curdle), breaking up any chunks of cream cheese against sides of pot.
- 8Stir in bacon.
- 9Sprinkle each serving with some of the reserved green onion tops.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.5
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 35.8 mg
- Sodium 1127.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes
evaporated low-fat milk
cream cheese with herbs