Recipe by shmeks02
Real Simple Recipe
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Made this spicy and flavorful soup for today's lunch. It has just the right amount of heat and it was very easy to put together. Loved the garnish of the bacon and scallions on top. You could add cheese as well, but we stayed with the recipe. Definitely a keeper. Made for Spring PAC, April, 2014.
- 8 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- kosher salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Spoon off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings and return the pan to medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, and red pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, broth, and half-and-half and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup among bowls and top with the scallions and bacon.