Recipe by Marz
This soup comes together in about 45 minutes. Very good and hits the spot on a cold day.
Top Review by JKBerney
Was very pleased to see this recipe posted here..can't believe no reviews yet. The original recipe is from Real Simple Magazine & was a staple of our daughter's diet while in law school.<br/>Be sure to use smoked paprika, not sweet paprika. If you are lucky to be near a Trader Joe's, they carry a Fire Roasted frozen corn that is very, very good in this recipe. If not, just line a shallow baking pan with foil, put regular frozen corn on it in a thin layer & broil it until the corn starts to blacken. Incredible!! <br/>And if you are anything like my SIL, you must have a bottle of Frank's Red Sauce & nice crusty bread to go with this. Very filling on a cold Fall or Winter day. <br/>Outstanding recipe!!!!<br/>Side note: use an immersion blender to puree the chowder just a bit...You can do it right in the pot, but be careful not to splash the hot chowder out.
- 8 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Spoon off and discard all but 2 TBSP of the dripping and return the pot to medium heat.
- Cook the onion, stirring occasionally until soft 5-7 minutes. add the garlic, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, broth, and half and half and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender, and puree until smooth. Return to pot ass 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and stir to combine. Divide the soup among individual bowls and sprinkle top with scallions and reserved bacon.