Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love grilled pizza! Just have all your ingredients at hand, by the grill, and this comes together very quickly. For the whole-wheat pizza dough....there are several good recipes here on Zaar. I use Trader Joe's, though I understand not everyone is near one of those stores. Recipe source: EatingWell
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 lb prepared whole wheat pizza dough
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine tomato, beans and corn in a medium bowl. Sprinkle cornmeal onto a large baking sheet. Stretch the dough into about a 12-inch circle and lay it on top of the cornmeal, coating the entire underside of the dough.
- Transfer the crust from the baking sheet to the grill. Close the lid and cook until the crust is puffed and lightly browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Using a large spatula and working quickly, flip the crust (smack it down if there are large bubbles). Spread the barbecue sauce on it and quickly sprinkle with the tomato mixture, then the cheese. Close the lid and grill until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the crust is browned, about 4 minutes.
We made this delicious, easy pizza the other night for dinner, with a few modifications, and would definitely make again! We used the recipe, Quick and Easy Pizza Crust, as this is our go-to pizza crust recipe, though it is not wheat. I had to use frozen corn and we baked in the oven on our pizza stone. I'm sure this will be even better with fresh corn, made on the grill, in summer. Nevertheless, it was enjoyed! Thanks!
Great pizza! I also saw this on EatingWell and wanted to make sure it was on 'Zaar. I made it on flour tortillas because I didn't have time to pick up pizza crust and used homemade BBQ sauce. It was fantastic! I can't wait to try it with the pizza crust. Edited to add: I tried it again with chopped onion and a chopped chipotle chile mixed into the barbecue sauce, which gave it a nice kick. I also topped it with some chopped cilantro before serving. I love the flexibility of this recipe!