Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach (5 cups)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Add chorizo and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate.
- Add onion to now-empty pot and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, and paprika and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and broth and simmer until flavors have melded and tomatoes are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups soup to blender and process until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Return processed soup to pot.
- Stir in chorizo and spinach and cook until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve.