Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My variation on the original recipe by Rick Bayless
- 3 roasted garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lb tomatillo, husked, rinsed and cut in half
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dry salsa seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatillos cut side down. Brown on both sides, turning over halfway through, about 7 minutes total.
- Transfer tomatillos to a blender or food processor.
- Add garlic, chiles, water, salsa seasoning and salt.
- Process to a coarse puree.
- Let cool before serving.
Easy recipe, excellent flavor. I served it w/tortilla chips alongside guacamole and it held its own very well. Nice contrast. Later, it enhanced steak and even eggs at breakfast.
I used only 1 can of chipotle chiles in adobo. 6pcs of tomatillos, 3 cloves garlic. all was cooked on the pan with olive oil instead of heating up the oven.