Don't spend your good money on tiny containers of store-bought hummus! Make your own! This recipe is a fun twist on the traditional hummus recipes. The chipotle pepper and cumin lend a bit of heat and smokiness, while the cilantro brightens it up. Perfect for entertaining a crowd!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole chipotle pepper, from canned chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- warm pita bread (store bought or home made) or pita chips (store bought or home made)
- In a food processor, blend garbanzo beans and next 7 ingredients in processor until smooth.
- Add red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pulse process, using on/off turns, until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer hummus to medium bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Bring to room temperature before serving. Accompany with warm pita or pita chips. Can be made 2 days ahead.allows flavors to develop!