Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this on www.health.com in a feature on crockpot recipes. Haven't made it yet, will edit this description as soon as I do.
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 lb chuck steak, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- Wash beans thoroughly, soak overnight, and drain.
- Place beans in slow cooker. Add water and next 7 ingredients.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours, till beans are tender.
- Brown the meat well in a frying pan for 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Then add the steak, peppers, corn, tomatoes, and salt to the beans, and cook an additional 30 minutes. If desired, add more chipotle chili powder for more heat.
- Garnish with low-fat sour cream, if desired, and the fresh chopped cilantro.
We really loved this chili! The cocoa added a richness and depth to the flavor, so I was glad that I added it as direct (I almost chickened out!). Thanks for a great recipe, we will be making this again...and again!