Recipe by CarolAT
Looking for a new and different chili recipe? This easy to make smoky chipotle chili is it. Serve this savory chili with a green salad and cornbread on a cold evening to warm you, your family or guests up. The recipe came from a Southwest Parent magazine.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, well-trimmed and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons masa harina
- reduced-fat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven on medium until hot. Brown beef in batches and remove from Dutch oven. Season with salt.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same pot on medium. Add beef, tomatoes, beer, adobo sauce and chipotle peppers; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Stir in beans and masa harina; return to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 to 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Serve chili with a dab of sour cream on top of each serving.
- Hint: You can substitute 3 tablespoons flour mixed with 1/2 cup water for the masa harina.