1/2 Photos of Smoky Chipotle Chicken Chowder
2 hrs 20 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Spicy but delicious chowder using your own roast chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chicken
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole roasting chickens
- 1 head garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt (as needed)
- black pepper (as needed)
For the Chowder
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 62 1/2 ounces chicken broth or 62 1/2 ounces stock
- 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 canned chipotle chiles, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon adobo sauce (from canned chipotles)
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 corn tortillas or 1 cup broken tortilla chips
- oil (as needed, to fry corn tortillas) (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 475°F.
- 2Rinse chicken and pat dry, and stuff cavity with garlic, onion, lime, and cumin seed.
- 3Seal cavity with skewers or toothpicks.
- 4Fold wing tips under bird.
- 5Rub exterior of bird with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- 6Place on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan and roast, uncovered, at 475F for 15 minutes.
- 7Reduce oven temperature to 375F and continue to cook chicken, for 60-75 minutes or until temperature in the thickest part of thigh reads at least 160°F.
- 8Allow chicken to rest for 30 minutes without carving.
- 9Cook bacon in a skillet until cooked through and crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tbsp bacon drippings.
- 10Place bacon drippings into the bottom of a large dutch oven, and add onion and garlic.
- 11Cook until tender, then add chicken broth, potatoes, wine, bell pepper, ground cumin, salt, and pepper.
- 12Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and tender.
- 13Meanwhile, remove meat from chicken, discarding fat, skin, and bone.
- 14Chop chicken coarsely and set aside.
- 15Mix together dry milk with cold water until smooth in a small bowl and set aside.
- 16Heat oil several inches deep in a large skillet.
- 17Using a pizza cutter or kitchen shears, cut tortillas into thin strips.
- 18Fry tortilla strips until crispy and golden, then drain on paper toweling and set aside (or may use broken tortilla chips).
- 19When potatoes in chowder are tender, add cooked chopped chicken, milk mixture, chopped chipotles with adobo (adjust amount for your own taste), and grated cheese.
- 20Cook, stirring over low heat just until cheese melts- do not boil or cheese will become grainy.
- 21Just before serving, stir in chopped cilantro, and top each bowl of chowder with tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoky Chipotle Chicken Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (798 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1185.8
- Calories from Fat 604
- Total Fat 67.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 226.1 mg
- Sodium 3105.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 75.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: