Recipe by Karen in MA
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I had this mac and cheese for dinner last night. We thought it was good and had nice flavor. It was also pretty easy to make. I might have liked it a little spicier--maybe adding some crushed red pepper flakes next time. Also, like the other reviewer, mine didnt thicken up and was kind of soupy. I havent had my leftovers yet, so perhaps it will have better consistency today.
- 1 lb macaroni (or cavatapi corkscrew shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (plus some for drizzling)
- 3⁄4 lb chorizo sausage, casing removed and diced
- 2 cups diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, and their juices chopped (or 1 tablespoon ground chipotle chili)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded smoked cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a pot of water on to boil for macaroni. When it boils, salt water and cook pasta until a little under done, just shy of al dente.
- While pasta cooks, place a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil and chorizo.
- Brown the chorizo then add the canned tomatoes to the pan and heat them through. Remove from heat and reserve.
- While chorizo begins to cook, heat a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add onions and chipotles and cook 3-5 minutes to sweat it out and turn the juices sweet. Raise heat up a bit, add the flour and whisk together until mixture bubbles up. Cook 1 minute more.
- Whisk in milk and stock and raise heat up a little more to bring the sauce to a quick boil. Once it bubbles, drop heat back to a rolling simmer sauce to thicken, 3-5 minutes.
- Drain macaroni or pasta. Add cooked pasta back to the large pot.
- Add cheese to milk sauce and stir to melt, a minute or so.
- Stir in chorizo and tomatoes and season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta in large pot and toss to combine. Transfer to a large serving platter, garnish with chives and serve.