Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Cornbread with a (slight) bite.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 cups stone-ground cornmeal (white or yellow)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 canned chipotle chile, drained, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put the bacon into a cold 10-inch cast iron pan and cook over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon bits are crisp.
- Do not let it burn.
- Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Keep the bacon fat in the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs with a whisk until foamy; whisk in the milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fold in the bacon bits, chipotle, and chives.
- Pour the batter into the cast iron pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.