Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices thick smoky center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 -4 cups corn tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- 2 cups shredded fresh smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- chopped fresh cilantro
- In a pot, bring the broth to a simmer; add in the chicken tender and bay leaf; poach the chicken for 6-7 minutes.
- While the chicken poaches, heat the olive oil in a medium soup pot or deep skillet over med-high heat; add in the bacon; cook until crisp; then remove to a paper-towel lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Drain off the excess fat, leaving 2-3 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan; cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce and the tomatoes.
- Remove the chicken from the stock, dice the chicken, then add it to the tomato mixture.
- Pass the poaching stock through a strainer, then add it to the soup; season to taste with salt.
- Place a pile of crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of each soup bowl; cover the chips liberally with the smoked cheese.
- Ladle the hot soup down over the top; pass bowls of lime, red onion, cilantro, and the reserved bacon at the table to finish the soup.