Smoky Chicken Tortilla Soup
- In a pot, bring the broth to a simmer; add in the chicken tender and bay leaf; poach the chicken for 6-7 minutes.
- While the chicken poaches, heat the olive oil in a medium soup pot or deep skillet over med-high heat; add in the bacon; cook until crisp; then remove to a paper-towel lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Drain off the excess fat, leaving 2-3 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan; cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce and the tomatoes.
- Remove the chicken from the stock, dice the chicken, then add it to the tomato mixture.
- Pass the poaching stock through a strainer, then add it to the soup; season to taste with salt.
- Place a pile of crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of each soup bowl; cover the chips liberally with the smoked cheese.
- Ladle the hot soup down over the top; pass bowls of lime, red onion, cilantro, and the reserved bacon at the table to finish the soup.