Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This smoky marinade turns chicken on a stick into something really special!
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
For the marinade
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the chicken thighs into chunks - about 1.5in and then set aside.
- Make the marinade. Strip the leaves from the tarragon and place them in a mortar with the roughly chopped chili. Add the garlic, a generous pinch of salt, a grinding of pepper and pound everything to a paste with a pestle (alternatively use a food processor).
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of smoked pimenton (this adds a lovely smoky flavour to the marinade). Add the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Stir thoroughly and pour over the chicken. Leave the chicken to marinate until ready to cook.
- Preheat the grill. Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers and cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through. Serve immediately.
I made this using chicken breasts and it really did turn into something really special. I used a scotch bonnet chili pepper for some extra heat and white balsamic so the color was beautiful as well. This one is a keeper. Thank you.
Thank you for posting this recipe! I let the chicken marinate overnight and had hubby cook them on the grill. This was his response "I could eat this every night for a week and not get tired of it. This is one for the cookbook!"